Re: Weber Tuning

To: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Subject: Re: Weber Tuning
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:43:17 -0800
I hate to be "different" but I don't get that soot on the back of my
Spit.

Perhaps it is because I have my Monzas mounted a bit further rearward
than most.  I do notice a carbon build-up inside the tips caused by the
rich mixture that is created when choking at startup.

Plus, I agree with all those who stated that the way the tips exit the
rear of the car is probably the cause.  By pointing slightly upward, it
is likely the exhaust gasses are swirled back toward the body panels.

Joe

Susan Hensley wrote:

> Yeah, me too.  I had a Monza on my '69 GT6+ and the back bumper was
> sooty as well.  I think it is due partially to the Monza pipes being
> upturned, while most other pipes I have seen are downturned or straight
> out.  Guess it's just routine cleaning Monza owners have to put up with!
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Keep Triumphing,
> Susan Hensley   :)
>
> Andrew Mace wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, N.A. Campiglia III wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > > Here is the question, I am getting ready to install the new SS exhaust I
>got
> > > from Rimmer.  I had a Monza on before and the bumper was collecting alot
>of
> > > soot.  I dont think my weber is set up right, I bought a jet kit and
>swapped
> > > some around but no luck I just cant seem to get the right combination.
> >
> > I can't help you on the Weber, but I've a thought on the Monza and the
> > soot. I've yet to see a Spitfire with a Monza system installed "straight
> > out of the box" that DIDN'T soot up the rear bumper and valance. I think
> > it has almost nothing to do with the running of the engine but almost
> > everything to do with where the pipes terminate at the back of the car and
> > the airflow in that area. Whether the Monza system tailpipes are just a
> > bit too short or what, I don't know.
> >
> > --Andy

> > * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> > *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> > * Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
> > * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer