Re: Spitfires and non-verbal communications

To: conn@wctc.net
Subject: Re: Spitfires and non-verbal communications
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:26:22 -0600
> Brad Kahler wrote:
>
> > Conn,
> >
> > Maybe you had better reread your OWN post then because the first half of
> > the comment to Laura you say "seem almost arrogant" which is somewhat
> > forgiving, whereas the 2nd half of your post to Laura says "I have come
> > to the conclusion"
>
> I said that from reading her posts I had come to that conclusion. Based
> solely on the content of the posts in question, this was one reader's
> interpretation. Again, a simple illustration of how a reader might not see
> what the writer intended them to see. Surely, you do not intend to say
> there is no possible way that a reasonable person, based on the content of
> Laura's previous posts, would come to the conclusion that Laura is
> bragging about her car (whether she intended it to look that way or not)?

Of course Laura is bragging about her car!  I kind of thought that part of
the function of this list was for us to be able to brag about our cars and tell
everyone else what we went through to get them to that point.  I don't brag
about my cars because I don't think I have anything to brag about.  If I did I
would probably sound a lot like Laura when talking about my cars.  Which
would be happy, proud and possibly or probably a little arrogant.  But from
what I've read of Laura's posts she's not only bragging she probably has a
right to brag.   As with many of us her spitfire appears to be big part of her
life.

> > which in my book any way you cut it thats stating an
> > opinion.  A not particularly nice opinion either.
>
> So, are you saying that opinions are unwelcome on this list, or simply
> opinions *you* disagree with?

No thats not what I'm saying, opinions ARE welcome, its the condesending
ones in MY opinion are NOT.  If I wanted to hear opinions like that I would
have stayed married.  What possible good can it do to put someone down
other than to bolster your own ego?  No where in any of Laura's posts did I
form the opinion that she was intentionally putting anyone else down.  She
was stating her opinions and there was nothing derogatory about them.

This discussion has wasted enough list bandwidth and my time and I don't
feel it would be appropriate to carry it any further.  I would much rather read
what someone is doing to their car than what someone is doing to someone
else.  If you have any furthur opinions please direct them to the bit bucket.

To each their own and may they be happy with their choices.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs

1964  Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire Mk4
1962 TR4 CT288L                -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108