Re: More on Amphicar

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More on Amphicar
From: Reg Tulk <regtulk@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:49:51 -0600
Funny this should come up, but while looking for the Tr-3 feature on
sunday, I ended up watching a motorsports program on TNN that featured
the amphicar.  It was on at 10 or so PM.  They interviewed a guy with a
restored one, and it has a 40 something HP rear mounted triumph engine
and two nylon props in the back.  It was on the show with the guy with
the bicycle moustache  (not the handlebar, he has evolved his into full
wheels) The owner showed the front bonnet with the gas tank and then the
rear deck (whick opened sideways) with the engine.  The car was complete
with front port/starboard red green running lights and a boat horn.
Steering was poorly done using the front wheels to drag the car left or
right.  There was a small lever next to the gear shift that engaged the
two rear props - simple enough push the lever forward, go forward, push
back, go backwards.  The throtle was controlled by the gas pedal and it
_crawled_ through the water.  I couldn't help but notice how low it sat
- one small wave and it would be sinkville.   He said it came with a $68
optioal radio and a $12 anchor.  It is perhaps the only car to ever have
an anchor as an option.  As for performance on land, top speed seemed to
be about 50 mph at which time the front end let loose.  The owner used
it to go to the golf course and for fun transportation to the real boat
at the lake.
I also remember seeing one in the garage of some of my parent's friends
when I was a child. We were on vacation somewhere...I asked if we could
go for a ride but never got one. If I remember where it was I'll call
and see if they still have it.

Reg

74 spit in boxes (still)