Re: Gear box tunnel padding

To: mgx@spruce.lsd.ornl.gov
Subject: Re: Gear box tunnel padding
From: "Keith Burns" <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:05:48 PDT
Woa there mike,
Uh have you done any tests? I am a whitewater kayaker myself and am
not sure that I would do that with out a bit of scientific method
before hand. Get a little scrap foam supmit it to some oil and some
gasoline and be sure it is not reactive to that. There is also the
high heat issue. What temp does the kayak foam handle?
Check it out first in the oven or somewhere that you can be sure that
300 or so degrees (just a guess) is cool with the foam. There are a
ton of comercial insulations out there that do exactly what you want
and are made for cars. Here is a web site you could check out about
one manufacturers offerings. (opps, the web address is on my computer
at work I'll e it to ya later today)  You don't want to mess up your
new cool tunnel.
My two cents,
Keith
Low miles 71 MK IV with origonal cardboard tunnel and intact foamy
stuff with plastic wrap.