Re: Gear box tunnel padding

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <ScottBarr8@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Gear box tunnel padding
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:11:10 +0100
Joe is the stuff you are refiring to foam space filler?  The stuff
recomended on that VW site.  Got from DIY stores.  If so cool I know what
you meen by it :-)

My one consern with all of these heat insulation things is cooking your
gearbox.

If you don't let enough air pass through the temperature of the gearbox will
go up, making the insulation work harder, and leading to the oil braking
down.  I suspect the worse effected transmitions will be OD types.   Make
shure there is enough space for air to circulate arround the box.  I would
also put recomend tin foil.

I use this to stop myself from catching fire when our gas fire sticks on,
and I need to get underneth it to turn the thing off.  On single sheet
reflects 3kW of inferred radiation.

Do like Ray says with the silicon stuff, I probebly would have forgotton to
do that.

I still cant descide wether to repair my fiber cover or go for a fiberglass
replacement.  There is alot to be said about the sound dedaning propertys of
fiberbord.  But if this foam works, I recon its probebly worth me ditching
the fiber cover.

I will however cut a hatch in the cover to facilitat the access to the
gearbox oil level thing.

Oh and heres a question for all of you with your cover off.  What hight is
the center of the propshaft from the top of the chassis rail.  I am
currently guessing with mine, but need to get the engin level correct!

Thanks

James