Re: Gear box tunnel padding

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Gear box tunnel padding
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:22:16 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/99 9:06:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spitlist@gte.net
writes:

> I tested some of the cured foam for flammability and yes it burns, but
>  not violently and does take a bit of deliberation to get it going, so
>  considering its distance form the exhaust system, I am not going to be
>  concerned about the fire potential.

Joe,

You may want to run this flame test again a little later, after the material
has had time to fully cure.

Several years ago, I was experimenting with casting resins, and needed to
know if the material would burn. I put a match to a small piece, fresh out of
the mold, and absolutely nothing happened - there wasn't even a sign of
discoloration. A few months later, I was going to demonstrate this to a
friend, using the exact same piece of material. When I held the match to it
this time, it promptly caught fire and burned freely, much to my
embarrassment.

I don't have any idea if this applies to the material you are using, or to
your application, but it's something to think about.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74