Re: MOT Time...

To: Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com, owner-spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: MOT Time...
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:13:47 EDT
OK now for my 2 cents worth and appearance on the soap box......

Fortunately here in the U.S. and thankfully in California we don't have an
inspection program for non commercial vehicles.  I noticed that some things
covered at the MOT are things that would get you a citation any time of the
year here (bald tires, a crack in the windshield, non functioning lights,
etc).  Don't dare get caught driving a non registered or uninsured vehicle
(hope you weren't too attached to it) as it will get impoynded and recovery
is extremely difficult to say the least and very expensive, if it only costs
you $1000 to reclaim your car, the car gods must have been smiling on you.
I'm guessing that the way things are in the UK, a safety inspection program
like this is necessary, here most unsafe vehicles (at least in the L.A. area)
are spotted year round and dealt with, therefore inspiring the owners who
wish to maintain possessionto keep the car operationable, emissions being a
whole different ballgame.  Things might be a little different in other parts
of the country but basically that's how things are in my area.  Now it is
time to step down and await my change, I planned on giving 2 cents but looks
like I gave a quarter.

        Michael