Re: Re: MOT Time...

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Subject: Re: Re: MOT Time...
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, Jul 4 2000 12:15:46 GMT-0600
I haven't any problem with making sure that cars are safe and roadworthy. But,
I know our state government and the departments which would oversee these sorts
of things. And I know the prejudice Sacramento has against older cars.
(Remember that lister who sent a copy of the letter he received offering him
$500 to get his 'old' car off the road--and his reply?)

I don't trust Sacramento and either the state or federal governments to be fair
to older cars regardless of their condition. And I don't trust them to enforce
a law like that fairly and equally with all vehicles both from the private
sector and the business sector. (As emissions controls are biased against
privately owned vehicles now.)
We also have a problem here in that SUVs and truck follow a different emissions
standard than cars do. (Though there is talk that that's being done away with.)
Would it be that way with an MoT. Yes I know that in Britain it's the same
across the board. But, here for emissions, it's not and I would think that it
an MoT wouldn't be straight across the board either.

There was a battle a few years ago against roposed 'junker' bills- they just
wanted to get old cars off the road. Period. I would be afraid of the
government tryong to use an MoT as a way to get rid of these cars. Which would
be bad for us enthusiasts who aren't well to do and be bad for the working poor
(Of which there are a great many) who couldn't afford a newer model car. (I
sometimes have thought that must be a lobby of car salesmen involved in all
this!)

Until we have a fairer government, one that won't be so swayed by lobbyists
looking to line their own pockets; one that will actually put the good of the
people first, rather than profit for themselves, I don't see how an MoT could
work here.

Well...you asked.

(Never ask a political activist to explain anything, eh?);-)

Laura G.