Re: MOT Time...

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MOT Time...
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:39:52 +0100
Hi Ken
The sills are what you guys call rockers I believe and are therefore an
important part of the vehicle structure, our MOT gets harder each year and
even the classic vehicles have to pass virtually the same test as the new
vehicles with the exception of the emissions which are not tested before
1975 vehicles and then follow a sliding scale in irregular chronological
sequence i.e. the gap between one set of values and the next is not a
regular number of years. The emissions are quite lenient for the first
tested group being up to 5% CO (I think) and up to 1200 ppM un-burnt
hydrocarbons, with an allowance for the fact that the SU's often can't make
the grade at tickover so you can have them checked for CO at 2000 rpm
providing the un-burnt HC check passes at tickover. The test checks the
brakes, steering, suspension, tyres,structural rust, rust that could injure
a pedestrian, (like having been hit by the bumper, wing mirror,door handle
wouldn't hurt!) windscreen, (no chips that are more than 3/8" diameter
within the arc of the wiper blades, seatbelts and even if you can remove the
fuel filler cap! (They check that first and if they can't they are not
supposed to continue the test!)

Graham.
2.5 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite