Re: Re: MOT Time...

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Re: MOT Time...
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, Jul 4 2000 13:10:57 GMT-0600
>Laura,
>That prejudice you mention is well founded.  Just take a look around and you
>will notice all kinds of junk vehicles on the road spewing
>smoke and liquids, with lights that either don't work or are pointing every
>which way but where they are supposed to be, with tires
>balder than michael Jordan and pieces falling off.

Almost all of the vehicle that I have seen spewing smoke have been trucks! Even
in Los Angeles, I haven't seen too many cars with peices falling off-it's
getting to be that seeing an old car is such a rare thing that even if it is a
paice of junk, it's like, 'Neat car!'

>These are the cars that are driving the legislation that requires annual
>inspections.

It's the hobbyist and the enthusiasts who are blocking legislation because we
don't trust the government from forcing us out of our hobby, (In my case, it's
more than a hobby as it's my only vehicle.) Because they've tried it before.

  The real travesty is the way exemptions are
>given freely because the politicians feel inclined to "protect the interests
>of the poor".

Yes, exemptions are given-but rarely to the poor. The poor can't lobby and line
the pockets of the legislators. The exemptions (in California at any rate) are
given to the big, pollution spewing industries and big business. (They do have
the money to line the pockets.)

Interestingly, my aunt has reported to me that in the Orlando area she lives
in, there's no emissions testing. There's also no pollution. (Or very little.)
But, there's no pollution producing industry to speak of. Here, there's
emissions testing and regulating (for the average car owners at least.) And
there's pollution. And there's polution producing industries. They 'buy' or
'earn' exemptions. (Some of the oil companies do this by collecting and
scrapping older cars. No differentiating between a classic and a junker I
maight add. In their eyes, they're ALL junkers! Unocal is one who does this.)
Pollution rises and it is blamed on the 'Average Joes'-and on Angelenos having
backyard BBQs! (Yes, they'll blame a heavy smog day on BBQs!)

Being one of the 'working poor', and having been disabled, And knowing others
in the same tax bracket-I can assure you that 'they', the government protect
interests-but certainly not those of the poor! (The joke in my family is-'if
only Laura can make it to 65! But, she probably won't!' Gallows humour!) Where
most of us get help is through our private LTD insurance (And they'll torture
you to death so as not to have to pay.) And through private foundations.
(Though, it's a little annoying for said foundations to invite you to their
fundraisers-to which we cannot afford the tickets-but it's the thought that
counts. And we are on the mailing lists...)

Should the government ever give me any sort of exemption, I assure you, I would
die straight away from shock-and probably about 50 other people would faint
that one of us got an exemption!

This is why I fight so hard for the 'Average Joe' hobbyist-because everyone
needs to have something in their lives which gives them joy and happiness-and
not just the rich and the people who can afford to buy government policy!

>If I may be so bold, I state categorically that you can't have it both ways.
>If the governments want to control safety and emissions,
>there must be laws that are strict and unwavering.  Otherwise, in the future,
>the cars we all enjoy driving may be forced off the road

ABSOLUTELY!!! If there is to be government regulations, they must be across the
board. And fair. I also think that if you have an 'old' car-and it is keep to a
certain level of restoration, rather than just looking at the year and
penalizing the owner for have a '60-something or a '70-something (or older), if
it's at a certain level of restoration, they should look at the over all
condition of the car, rather than just the vintage! (Lordy! I wish I could get
classics insurance, but I don't make enough to have a second car AND pay
insurance for both AND have a garage! So, penalize me! AUGH!)

>in favor of electric (or other polution-free) forms of power!

If one can pass the credit check and makes the required amount they want to
lease you one of these today! I doubt if electric cars will be terribly
affordable to the worker bees anytime in the near future. And then what? Are
they to be penalized?

>Soap Box Mode off.

Me too! I'm exhausted! (But these are all things I think about each and
everyday!)

Laura G.