Re: Re: MOT Time...

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Re: MOT Time...
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Mon, Jul 3 2000 13:22:57 GMT-0600
I can only imagine the (financial) hardships a nationwide MoT would impose on
the average guy. The new(ish) smog program here in California has really caused
some hardships for people already-I met a woman at the car wash the other day
who was ordered to a 'State' emissions testing center rather than the local
testing center of her choice, with a '99 Honda-and it failed! They told her it
would be $400 to pass! What a racket! My friends (all sorts and years of cars)
all pray when they open their registration that they're not assigned to go to a
state emissions station-cause they know they're probably not going to pass!

Also, knowing the loopholes in our emissions programs for industry and big
businesses, I can only imagine the loopholes they'd come up with in a MoT!

Heck! Several million Californians now can't afford car insurance-can you
imagine if these people had to pass an annual inspection on top of that?

An inspection like MoT could be a good idea-but first they need to figure out
how to get these other programs to be both affordable- and applicable to ALL
vehicles.

Off the soapbox now...

Laura G.