Re: Spit MK3 Dash Warning Lights question

To: Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Subject: Re: Spit MK3 Dash Warning Lights question
From: Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, here's how you check your charging system.  You'll
need a good acurate volt meter.  Before you start the
car or have anything on, read the voltage accros the
terminals.  12.8 to 13.2 volts means that the battery
is fully charged.  It dosen't matter if it will run
anything or not it is as charged as it will get.  If
it dosen't do much, the battery is bad.

If the voltage is below 12.0 volts, the battery is
discharged.  Now start the car and again read the
voltage.  It should start to go up.  If it goes up to
14-15 volts, it is charging the battery as fast as the
battery can take it.  No turn on some lights and fans
and such and see if the voltage stays up or starts to
fall.  If it starts to fall then you are running all
the amps out of the generator that you can.  Remmember
that generators charge more the faster they are
running.  More revs mean more amps, basically.

Once you think that you have a good charge shut off
the engine and read the volts accros the terminals.
again 12.8-13.2 is as full as you can get it.  Turn on
some stuff and watch to see how fast the voltage
drops.  Batterys often go bad and this seems to be
more common than a few years ago.

Two more tips.  1.  Wash off the top of your battery.
Dirt and crud up there can allow for a path accros the
top that can discharge the battery.  and 2. Clean the
terminals and connectors.  Even if they look good but
you are having electrical problems, just clean them.
These were words of wisdom that were imparted by my
father to me many times over the years and when I
finally started to pay attention, my cars ran alot
more reliably.

Chris DeStaffany
1975 Spit, Starts and runs every time.

--- Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> If I understand you correctly, the warning light for
> a defective generator
> would be the IGNITION light in the speedo?
> (Left - High Beams, Center- Ignition, Right - Oil)
>
> BTW I finaly found out (reading the electrical
> schemas in the workshop
> manual) that it IS a generator.  What is the best
> way to test the amp
> output?  Already checked the voltage (looked OK) but
> the amps only gave me
> 1-2 amps. I'm probably doing something wrong 'cause
> I'm sure it should be
> higher than that.  Any pointers?
>
> Note: One the car is started, the ignition light
> goes off.  But my battery,
> evven after an hour of running at idle, doesn't get
> recharged!  I know it's
> only a generator but shouldn't it be able to
> reccharge the battery if
> nothing else is turned on?
>
> TIA
> Steph
> Ottawa, Canada
> '69 Spit - Hers (Getting "new" fiberglass floors
> this week!)
> '71 TR6 - Mine (Can't wait for winter - that's when
> I will work on it
> again!!!)

=== message truncated ===

http://invites.yahoo.com/