Re: Radio mounting [Was: Re: period stereo]

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radio mounting [Was: Re: period stereo]
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:10:15 -0400
I have a Sony CD player in the stock location in mine - I don't know what
PO's had done to the dash support, but all I had to do was file the opening
in the "radio mount plate" a little bigger. I would suspect that if your
mount plate is still of the shaft type you could easily cut/file it to fit
a  DIN stereo.

For speakers, I have Cambridge Soundworks separates (separate tweeter and
midranges) - the tweeters are mounted on the base of the A pillars just
above the dash, the midranges I made sealed wooden boxes for and mounted
them in the footwells - in those indents ahead of the door posts. The one
on the driver's side doubles as a good "dead pedal" as well.

I also have a set of small Blaupunkt 4" speakers mounted in the rear
cockpit panel - I only did this because they where hanging around the house
- they are too small to make much difference. If I were to buy something
for this area I would get shallow top mounting 6.5".

The whole thing is powered by a 4x35 watt Soundstream amp in the trunk.

Sounds pretty good, and I can hear CDs reasonably well at 75 with the top
down. Would not be cheap to buy all this stuff at once, but it was all
parts left over from other cars, other than the CD - that was only $150 on
sale at Sears of all places!

Also, I have no problem getting CDs in or out in 1st and 3rd - you just
have to go a little sideways once it starts coming out.

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spit
In rainy Portland, Maine ;-(