Re: Radio mounting [Was: Re: period stereo]

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radio mounting [Was: Re: period stereo]
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:00:28 -0700
Eric,

I'd suggest a trunk-mounted remote controlled CD-changer.  They're fairly
inexpensive, you can store a lot more music that way and you don't have to
worry about fiddling with discs and how they interact with your shifter when
you should be keeping your eyes on the road.

I adapted a stock AM radio to act as the head unit for a new stereo setup
and the results have been outstanding.  I went a little overboard, maybe,
adding a powered subwoofer tube in the boot, but the resulting sound is
superb, even at 75 MPH.  I'm unfortunate to not have a soft top, but living
in San Diego I really don't need one, so I suspended a pair of Advent
indoor/outdoor enclosed speakers with bass ports from the two bolts that are
normally used to tie down the hard top in the rear.

With all due respect to those that have put speakers in the footwells --
this is not the best place from sonic standpoint, to put them.  The sound
ends up being reflected off the transmission cover, where the highs are
absorbed into the carpet and stereo imaging gets shot.  The only advantage
of placing speakers here is that they are invisible from the outside, which
has advantages that might outweigh your audiophile sensibilities.

I really like the Advent speakers for two reasons -- having them in tuned,
sealed enclosures improves the sound quality tremendously over any stock
Spitfire mounting options.  Bass is tight, not sloppy -- and the rear deck
is really the only place to mount speakers where they can be heard, without
wrecking the stock look of your interior.

I was thrilled to discover that when I added a hood cover on the rear deck,
the speakers are literally invisible with the fabric pulled down over them
(as when parked) and practically invisible when the hood cover fabric is
folded over and resting on the top of the speakers.  Finally, at $49 a
pair -- if they are somehow discovered and stolen anyway, it's inexpensive
to replace them.

Good luck in quenching your desire for better music in your Spitfire.  If
you want to see what I've done, go to
http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/radio.shtml

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!