Re: 61 TR3A

To: G A Oliver <gaoliver@joplin.att.com>
Subject: Re: 61 TR3A
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 1995 08:29:13 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 2 Jun 1995, G A Oliver wrote:

> Is this a basket case to avoid (my original reaction after seeing the car) or
> a project car to restore (the position I was moving toward until I read the
>
> TeriAnn Wakeman seems to be the most positively disposed toward the car in
>its
> current condition (her response may even help bring my wife around).
>
> Is there a consensus out there?  Who's right TeriAnn or mg?

        George,

        They both are right... This may just add smoke to an already
        dim vista, but as a TR4 owner who rebuilt a "parts car" I guess
        I have some experience to draw from.

        What you have to ask yourself is "how much grief and dissapointment
        am I willing to put up with?" Then if your shoulders are sufficiently
        broad, buy the car. For extra $1,500. you spend on the "rough runner"
        you can buy an awful lot of "stuff" to help you on your way (it only
        took $20 dollars worth of parts to get my TR4 running initially).
        Furthermore, the more you HAVE to do yourself, the more you will
        learn about the car (I look at my adventure as a LEARNING EXPERIENCE).
        The most I had ever done mechanically prior to bringing the Green Man
        back from the dead was change a spark plug on a lawn mower. I became
        a mechanic, a welder, suspension and brake expert, and bodyman over
        the course of three years. I also made a LOT of friends and tied up
        serious chunks of free time... and loved every second of it. When
        I was through with the rebuild (actually you're never really through
        with it) I had a car with about $7,000 spent. It probably wasn't worth
        much more than that either.

        Now look at the bright side... It looks like nothing available today
        (I set a lot of stock in the "whiplash factor"). I couldn't buy
        ANYTHING with as much character new today  for the same price. It
        goes like "bloody clappers" and best of all I did it all myself...

        REMEMBER! It's a HOBBY. You're not in it to make money. If you are
        take up dabbling in the stock market.

        Best of luck,

        Greg

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois