Re: 61 TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 61 TR3A
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 1995 09:33:12 -0400

>On 2 Jun 1995, G A Oliver wrote:
>
>> Is this a basket case to avoid (my original reaction after seeing
>the car) or
>> a project car to restore (the position I was moving toward until I
>read the
>>
>> TeriAnn Wakeman seems to be the most positively disposed toward the
>car in its
>> current condition (her response may even help bring my wife
>around).
>>
>> Is there a consensus out there?  Who's right TeriAnn or mg?

Having gone both directions over the past 25 years of owning TR3s, I strongly
suggest letting someone else "save" this car, unless you're very project
oriented and really don't care when, or even if, you drive it.  I am firmly
convinced that you'll be time and money ahead by spending more on a clean,
relatively rust free car, and let the "project car" go to a serious,
experienced restorer.

For example, a friend here started a ground up restoration on a car that
sounds better than the car you describe, and many thousands of dollars and
much time later, it's still not on the road.  On the other hand, I bought a
decent $5,000 TR3 at about the same time and, after a repaint and minor
restoration work (chrome, etc), it's been to numerous events, two VTR
Nationals and is generally a dependable, fun to drive friend.

My point is simply that these cars are, IMHO, more fun to drive and show than
to restore.  Also, I'm convinced that the better the car you start with, the
better the result will be.  For sure you'll be enjoying the driving much
sooner.

Before the flames start, I'm not advocating junking this car, only making
sure that whoever starts its restoration is prepared to spend the time and
money to finish it, rather than get discouraged and let it sit outside in the
weather until there's nothing left at all.

Finally, make sure your marriage is SOUND,  your finances are SOUND and that
you enjoy listening to the SOUND to other people's cars while your's sits
forlornly in its storage space.

My $.02 worth,

Don Marshall
'57 TR3  '62 TR3-B  '63 TR4  Plus 2 1/2 parts cars (OMYGAWD)