re: Re: Frame rust

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Re: Frame rust
From: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 08:46:43 EDT
I used a product called Rust-Mort to neutralize any rust I could not remove
with a wire brush on a drill.  This was when I reupholstered the seats on my
TR3A three years ago and stripped them down to the frames.  The product is 5%
phosphoric acid if I remember correctly.  It was receommed by a neighbor who
is a retired salesman of automotive products (25 years experience).  You have
to go to a supply house that serves the auto body profession.  You won't find
it at ADAP or CAP or places like that.  Seems to work OK but I don't know
about its long term durability.  You apply it to the rust, let it dry
completely, brush off any crystallization (I didn't see any), then apply your
primer over it, then paint.