Re: Frame rust

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frame rust
From: searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 11:29:56 -0800
Jeff writes:

>The guys at the local LBC shop, Mountjoy's, told me that Waxoyl is
>great for getting at the inaccessible insides of the frame, but it's
>not something you would want to use on a surface you intended to
>paint.  I don't know if you would use it on the outside of the frame
>or not, but I'd sure like to find out.

Quite right. Waxoyl is well known to Brits (my Spitfire has loads of the
stuff to survive the British winter), but you wouldn't wan't to use it
instead of, or before, paint. It's simply a mixture of a kind of wax, oil
and solvent. The solvent evaporates to leave a waxy coating that offers
better rust protection than our usual method of painting the rusty chassis
with old engine oil.

Have your frame shotblasted and painted, when it's finished use as much
waxoyl as you like inside the frame.

Incidentally, Classic and Sports Car has a nice TR4 restoration article
this month. I believe his chassis was powder coated, anyone have any
experience with this method? The magazine cover reads "TR4, Triumphs Best
Roadster" or something similar. Maybe they were reading that thread we had
a few months back :-)

regards
Phil Searle
Davis CA
'63 TR4
'76 Spitfire 1500

Philip A. Searle Ph.D                 (916) 752-7678
Chemistry Department                  (916) 752-8995 Fax.
University of California          E-mail: pasearle@ucdavis.edu
Davis  CA 95616                   WWW: http://www-chem.ucdavis.edu/~searle