re: Re: Frame rust

To: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
Subject: re: Re: Frame rust
From: Andrew Smith <asmith@BayNetworks.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 10:24:56 PDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> From triumphs-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu Fri Jun 23 06:42:13 1995
> From: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 08:46:43 EDT
> Subject: re: Re: Frame rust
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
>
> I used a product called Rust-Mort to neutralize any rust I could not remove
> with a wire brush on a drill.  This was when I reupholstered the seats on my
> TR3A three years ago and stripped them down to the frames.  The product is 5%
> phosphoric acid if I remember correctly.

This product sounds a bit like "Jenolite" (spelling?) but I seem to remember
that
was much stronger, meaner Phosphoric acid - more like 20% with a fairly thick
consistency. I don't know if this is available over here in the US (I used to
use it on old steam engines before painting them Brunswick green) but it always
seemed to get the primer/paint to stick very well.

Andrew Smith
Palo Alto, CA, USA
'60 Healey 3000 Mk.I (snooping over in TR-land for good ideas)