Re: Frame rust

To: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Subject: Re: Frame rust
From: pwatson@ix.netcom.com (Pete Watson)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 10:45:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You wrote:

>Well thanks for the replies on what to do about frame rust.  As I am
too
>cheap, stubborn and impatient for dipping or sandblasting (although
these
>seem like great ideas) I will sand and wirebrush the entire frame.
Now,
>what should I put on the sanded metal and rust?
>
>        Epoxy paint? (what about a primer?)
>        Coaltar epoxy paint?
>        Metal primer and paint? (what kind?)
>        Navel Jelly? ( what do ya do with this stuff?)
>        rust eliminator product? (the stuff that turns black when you
>spray/brush it on?)(I havn't had good results with this in the past)
>        Waxoyl? (over something else maybe?)
>        Used motor oil? (I got lotsa this)
>
>Is there an expert out there?
>
>Bill King  '75 Spit/'72 GT6   mah16@cornell.edu

Bill,
     I have used a product called POR-15 which seems to do a good job.
It is a moisture-cured urethane resin which is designed to be painted
right over the rust (hence POR).  It allegedly pulls the water out of
the rust crystals to aid in the curing process.  You brush off the
loose rust, but don't grind down to clean metal.  It cures to a very
hard finish, and can be painted over.  Once it cures, it's impossible
to remove.
     I have tried it for about a year on some exposed rusty metal (the
remaining shards of the rockers on my van), and it seems to be holding
up.  It is available by mail from the manufacturer in NJ, but I don't
have the details with me at the moment.  I'll post the address/phone in
a day or two.  It's about $30 a pint, which sounds like a lot, but it
covers well.  J.C. Whitney have a similar sounding product in their
catalog for about half that price (probably comes out of the same vat
at Dow or somewhere :^))
     I would definitely recommend it for a frame, unless you're doing a
concours restoration.  Epoxy paint sounds like a good idea too, but
I've never tried it.  Anything waxy or oily will eventually evaporate
away, and will prevent you from painting anywhere near it.

Pete Watson   ('65 Spit "retirement project")