Frame rust

To: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame rust
From: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 09:16:20 EDT
Comments: Converted from PROFS to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
I just picked up on this question and since Bill thanked everyone for their
replies, I'm assuming that this has been going on for some time and I
just missed it. So if any of this has been said before, my apologies and
you can hit the delete key anytime. Otherwise...

Bill,
When I think of a "frame up restoration" I think of having the body off
the frame and all components removed for cleaning or replacement on the
newly cleaned and painted frame. Are we on the same page here? is that
what you're doing? If so then the simplest thing is to bring your frame to
a sandblaster. After it's been sandblasted clean, painting with an epoxy
based paint is a simple matter. (Warning. Don't attempt to paint with epoxy
unless you have all the respirators and related gear. Bad for the lungs.
That's another whole, and very long, thread that you should look up.)
Another alternative is to have the frame dipped in an acid bath at one
of the places like Redi-Strip (sp?). Some folks contend that you should never
use these processes because, they say, you can never get all the stripper
out of all the little nooks and crannies and it will eventually leach out
and ruin your finish. I've never seen it happen, but I suppose it's possible.
The company does dip the parts in a neutralizing solution after stripping
so that would make me think that the above argument against, is specious.
The advantage to Redi-strip is that it gets out rust *inside* the components
as well. The disadvantage is that you have to get some kind of finish on
the inside of your frame and that can be difficult. Sandblasting is
probably the most expeditious method.

You said you're located in the northeast. Where exactly? I'm in Albany
NY and if you're anywhere near here, I can recommend a few people whose
work is very high quality and price reasonable.

Again, apologies if all this has been said before.

Rik

Rik Schlierer                 "Weekends don't count unless you
RGS03@HEALTH.STATE.NY.US         spend them doing something
NYS DEPT OF HEALTH, ALBANY NY  completely pointless" (Calvin)