Re: 20psi @ idle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 20psi @ idle
From: "John Laidler" <johnl@zeta.org.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 18:23:06 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <johnl@godzilla.zeta.org.au>

> It's easy - I did it a month or two after I bought my TR4A, when I had
> essentially zero experience as a mechanic.

[..good rundown of the process by Chris deleted...]

I did this job on my 2500 PI last December. It's trickier,
because the steering rack has to come off to drop the sump.
But a couple of additions to Chris's procedure:

1. You might want to replace the thrust washers while you're
in there: they're cheap, and renowned for dropping out. If
the bearings are worn, the thrust washers probably are too.

2. Definitely worth checking the oil pump: I replaced mine
without bothering to check the old one. It's cheap, and very easy
to do once you've got access.

3. A few other things (apart from the steering rack) that made
me take a little more than three hours (!more like three days!):
cleaning lots of gunk out of the sump pan; fiddling with thrust
washers to get the right end float; and getting all 23 of those
blasted sump pan bolts back in while lying on my back under the
car, in the street (yep, no garage), in the rain.

John
           John Laidler | johnl@zeta.org.au | (+612) 519 3912
            68 Applebee St. St Peters N.S.W. 2044 Australia
                Looking for HTML & Web authoring work...