RE: TR6: Ignitor Ignition

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6: Ignitor Ignition
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:01:30 -0600

I too have an Ignitor. So far it has worked flawlessly after just over a
year and perhaps 5000 miles. However, I have also heard the tales of
mysterious failure and always keep my points in the glovebox just in case.
(I even got a spare distributor base plate so I could pre-set the gap in
case I had to make the repair on the road).

One thing people might want to investigate is the following (and this
assumes that those who have Ignitors and want to stay with that solution do
so because they like the fact it is completely concealed in the distributor
as opposed to those systems which have an external power supply like the
Crane for example).

Lumentiion makes a kit for older cars which also fits under the dist cap. I
have heard from numerous sources that Lumenition is a very reliable brand
(one source is the Motorhead catalog). So you may want to investigate this
alternative. I think the Lumenition kit costs more than the Ignitor but if
you only have to buy one instead of one per year it may be worth it. Note:
Lumenition also makes a kit similar to the Crane, ie external power supply,
but they definitely have a Ignitor-like kit. At least according to my Holden
catalog (<http://www.holdenvc.demon.co.uk/index.htm>).

BTW, I thought Pertronix offered a two year warranty?

No interest in any company I mentioned blah blah blah...

HTH,

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---