Re: TR6: Ignitor Ignition

To: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TR6: Ignitor Ignition
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:44:37 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

The Pertronix Ignitor is easy to install and gives an immediate
improvement to tired old engines.  I really liked mine for the year I had
it.

And that's the problem.  I have heard from a number of members that they
have a habit of going out in as little as a year.  Since there are no
moving parts it is very hard to tell.  My car began to miss at speed, but
only occasionally.  A couple of times it didn't want to start, again for
no apparent reason.  Then one day as I was backing out of the garage to go
to work, it just died and wouldn't start at all.

After fiddling with everything else (since the Ignitor was almost new) I
replaced the old points and condensor and zoom, off we went.

Now I can't decide if I want to spring for the $90+ to replace the thing,
especially if it only lasts a year!!

I would be interested to know others think.

Michael Mason
St. Louis, Missouri or thereabouts
        '73 TR6...66, The Beast