Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change again in the Spring?

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change again in the Spring?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:46:12 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> Why not just drain the oil out, and wait until the spring to re-fill?.  The
> film is all you have anyway while it sits there unused, and a full pan of
> oil is pretty much doing nothing.

I was surprised to find surface rust inside the oil pan of my TR6.  There was a
clean line of rust showing the level of oil in the pan.  There was no additional
rust, other than small areas on the exterior surface of the block and water
passages.  The car sat for several years before the previous owner got it
running
to sell it.  I can only assume that the oil film wears off, though I suspect it
takes more than a winter.

I know of people who change their oil every 3000 miles or 3 months, which ever
comes first.  Since an oil change costs less than $10, why not change it.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6