Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change again in the Spring?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change again in the Spring?
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:01:59 GMT
On 28 Sep 1998, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Why not just drain the oil out, and wait until the spring to re-fill?.

As long as you run the engine with clean oil for a while first, I can't
really see any harm in that. As a speculation, the only thing I could
possibly think of is that the oil might act as some sort of reservoir
collecting condensation, so that it might keep the relative humidity
within the engine slightly lower?

> Just make sure you REFILL it in the
> spring or before operation.  A couple of quarts, in a clean oil drain
> bucket on the drivers seat should remind you to do that.

Defintely! I think I would even put the rotor there, just to make
entirely sure ;-)

If you really would want to make a ceremony out of it, I could suggest
the following spring ritual:

        1. Refill oil
        2. Reinstall fully charged battery
        3. Take out plugs
        4. Run the engine on the starter untill it registers a
           healthy oil pressure.
        5. Replace plugs and rotor.
        6. Perform all the usual LBC/Lucas stuff concerning bats wings,
           black cats, smoke hidden in electrical wires and so on.
        7. Start and enjoy.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway