Re: TR6 motor on engine stand

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Re: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Trevor Jordan wrote:

> >However, do not use fine threads in soft metals such as aluminum.  There
> >you'll
> >want to use a coarse thread.
>
> So Triumph used fine threads on their aluminium alloy trailing arms.  They
> must have had a big batch of fine threads to use up or some similarly
> sophisticated design criterion.

They also used fine threads on my intake manifold.  Made it a real pain to
get the broken stud out as all the little chunks were real tiny (I drilled
through the center and picked out the leftovers)

If the threads strip I will be switching to a (coarse!) Heli-Coil.

ISTR that Triumph (and Girling) probably use a special corrosion-enhancing
alloy anyway, so what does it matter? <g>

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm