Re: TR6 Motor on Engine Stand

To: RobSwift@PetCentre.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Motor on Engine Stand
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:09:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Rob,

You probably got a ton of responses to your query about engine stands. But
I'll throw in some direct experience.

I wouldn't necessarily store a motor for an extended period on an engine
stand. Why? It's not because the stand isn't up to the task... chances are
if you have an engine stand, you'll need it for doing work on engines. Why
spend $50 - $100 on a stand and then not really use it??

Instead, get an old creeper or make a "box" out of 2 X 6's and put some
castors on it and store the engine as follows: remove oil, pull the pan.
remove the oil pump. Place the motor on the "box" such that the motor is
supported by the front and rear sections. Note: the crank hangs down just a
little bit, so don't store the motor with the weight on the crank or rod
journals. Cover everything with plastic - TWICE - and tuck that baby away.

Now your orignal question about those little bolts. 4 ea. 1/4-28 bolts will
do the job quite nicely. Use grade 5 or AN bolts if you're squemish about
things breaking. Don't hammer on the motor when it's just hanging from the
bolts, but the 4 bolts will support the engine just fine. I'm paranoid, so
if I'm working on the motor and turning it to work on the top or the
bottom, I use a hoist hanging from the rafters "just in case".

Remember - the motor with crank/head and everything installed is pretty
hefty, about 400 - 450 pounds. Use caution when moving it, and if you do
have a calamity (the stand tries to tip over or something like that), get
the heck out of the way!

As for motor stands themselves, there are different quality units out there
- get a good one. I like the 4 castor ones, but I also think the units that
have a diagonal brace from the lower strut to the verticle strut would be
the strongest ones... and check the welds for cracks from time-to-time.

Aren't you glad you asked??

rml

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper