Re: TR6 motor on engine stand

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:33:00 -0400
Brian Kemp wrote:

> "Hi, my name is Brian and I drive a TR-6 with 2* stripped out trailing arm
> studs..."
>
> * repaired with a threaded insert, no problems after two years of hard
>driving.
>
> Brian Kemp
> 72 TR6 also

Helicoil inserts are a great way to repair the trailing arms.

My father always insisted on putting inserts into any aluminum casting even if
the
existing threads were good.  If he thought that the bolt would need to be
installed
and removed frequently, he'd always put an insert in.  He said that there would
be
less wear and less damage to the threads if the steel bolt was always working
against
the steel insert.  Since the insert doesn't turn, there isn't any abrasion of
the soft
aluminum threads.  Makes sense.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars