Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:16:03 GMT
On 2 Nov 1999, CIS AMREIN wrote:

> There are reports concerning the valve
> recession problem and also proposals
> for add-in products (eg.  Practical classics report).

You can probably forget about the additives - you will surely be able to
get lead-replacement-gasoline at the pumps that should take care of the
valve recession problem.

> Beside this matter I have heard that the metering unit could be affected
> by unleaded fuel.
> Questions:   - Is this problem known , or is it a joke ?

There was a rumour that lead was required to "lubricate" the injection
system. This is surely a joke, or rather, a hoax.

>                    - If yes , is the problem linked to the material of
> the seals ?

Yes. The seals will by affected by the high contents of aromatics of
high-octane unleaded fuel. The seals are probably old and brittle anyway,
and the new fuel will just accelerate the problem.

The worst single component is in fact the fuel filter seals. The original
Rover group filters have seals that will only last 6 months before they
swell and develop a leak.

>                    - Are there any suggestions to get a solution

Renew the seals with materials that withstand high-octane unleaded fuel
better.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway