Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, CIS AMREIN <cisamrein@access.ch>
Subject: Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 01:13:46 +0100
Date sent:              Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:30:50 +0100
From:                   CIS AMREIN <cisamrein@access.ch>
To:                     "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject:                TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
Send reply to:          CIS AMREIN <cisamrein@access.ch>

As also in Switzerland the leaded fuel will disapear  end of the year
1999 , I have studied the matter in the past
to get solution for my TR 6 PI. There are reports concerning the valve
recession problem and also proposals
for add-in products (eg.  Practical classics report).
Beside this matter I have heard that the metering unit could be affected
by unleaded fuel.
Questions:   - Is this problem known , or is it a joke ?
                   - If yes , is the problem linked to the material of
the seals ?
                   - Are there any suggestions to get a solution

Thanks for your answers

Walter Koller
Member of the Swiss TR-club
Switzerland

Hello Walter,
Lucas metering units are designed to run on leaded fuel and are
facing problems with unleaded.
1. unleaded is very aggressive to rubber and older units will suffer
attack to rubber seals and fuel diaphragms, but this is also valid for
other rubber parts in the fuel system.Best is to change all older
parts with unleaded compatible rubber parts.
2. the extremely small tolerances of the rotor assembly requires a
certain degree of lubrication, this is provided by leaded petrol, but
the different chemicals in unleaded do not guarantee a proper
lubrication.
Unleaded fuel compatible metering units are available as exchange
units from different U.K.companies. K.M.I. in U.K. is producing a
fully lead free package for TR5 and TR6
Jean R
70 TR6 PI
60 TR3A