Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:56:36 GMT
On 3 Nov 1999, J.H. Roulleaux wrote:

> I did not say that lead in leaded petrol is providing the lubrication in
> the Lucas metering units, this was said by Lucas themself

Where, may I ask, did you find anything in a pulication from Lucas that
says that leaded petrol is required for lubrication of the metering unit?

Please point me to it, because I have yet to find anything.

> I know that there are more opinions about this
> subject than there are TR drivers.

Sorry, opinions does not interest me. Just facts.

> You might know that some road testing has been done with lead
> free fuel in Lucas metering units by continental clubs.The result
> was that some units seized and others did not.

Can you please tell me where I can find information about Lucas metering
units that have seized due to use of unleaded fuel?

Note that I am not trying to be a wise guy here - I am just honestly
interested. I have myself never just heard of such problems before.

> So if you don't want to end up on a motorway at night 500 miles
> from home with a seized metering unit buy a safe one that is well
> calibrated from a reliable source.

Again, it would like such claims substantiated. Please.

Egil
for what its worth, having used unleaded in my PI for many, many years.
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway