Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 05:38:45 GMT
On 3 Nov 1999, J.H. Roulleaux wrote:

> 2. the extremely small tolerances of the rotor assembly requires a
> certain degree of lubrication, this is provided by leaded petrol, but
> the different chemicals in unleaded do not guarantee a proper
> lubrication.
> Unleaded fuel compatible metering units are available as exchange
> units from different U.K.companies.

Just to repeat myself: As far as I have been able to establish, the
history about lead in petrol lubricating metering units is in all
probability a hoax. You may want to search the archives on this issue.

I say hoax, because certain companies are selling reconditioned
"unleaded" metering units for twice the price of "leaded", and there is
nothing to substantiate that there are other differences than the material
in few O-rings. Viton rings are just a few pence more expensive than
traditional O-rings.

I would certainly not place my business with such companies.

Also, to clarify, it is *high* octane unleaded that has the problem with
rubber compatibility. Not that you would want to run your PI on anything
else.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway