Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel

To: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Subject: Re: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 23:55:22 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> > Unleaded fuel compatible metering units are available as exchange
> > units from different U.K.companies.
>
> Just to repeat myself: As far as I have been able to establish, the
> history about lead in petrol lubricating metering units is in all
> probability a hoax. You may want to search the archives on this issue.
>
> I say hoax, because certain companies are selling reconditioned
> "unleaded" metering units for twice the price of "leaded", and there is
> nothing to substantiate that there are other differences than the material
> in few O-rings. Viton rings are just a few pence more expensive than
> traditional O-rings.

I will second this, based on some preliminary research. John Macartney
put me onto a place selling repair parts for PI units, and they
generally verify the above. For reference, they are:

M E & J W Pumford, 86/90 Seaview Road, Liscard, Wallasey,
Merseyside, England. CH45 4LB.

Service exchange items available as follows:
Injectors £21.53 each + vat exchange £25 surcharge on old units
Pressure relief valve £31.50 + vat exchange £31.50 surcharge
Metering unit £145 + vat exchange £50 surcharge
Metering unit seal kit £21 + vat
Fuel control seal £22.50 + vat
Vacuum diaphragm £6.50 + vat
Nylon vac link £7.50 + vat

Note that "surcharge" is the British equivalent of the US term, "core
charge."

As from the above, a Viton metering unit seal kit is about $35 (I
verified in email that their seal kits were composed of Viton seals).
So, the need to have the metering unit rebuilt to conform to unleaded
fuels is about $35 and labor. One can obviously buy the seals and do the
job one's self for a great deal less than for the prices that some
rebuilders are charging for "unleaded" PI metering units, which is
sometimes advertised in the several hundred dollar range. From John and
Pumfords', it seems the only time one should consider having the
metering unit professionally rebuilt is if the internal parts are
showing signs of pitting from rust, and that rebuild, these days, should
include Viton seals.

Cheers.