TR6 PI and unleaded fuel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 PI and unleaded fuel
From: "Terry & Cindy O'Beirne" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 19:29:26 +1000
Cc: cisamrein@access.ch
We have run our TR5 (PI) and other PI cars on unleaded off-and-on for
some years.

First, it does not necessarily swell/damage seals. This depends on the
precise fuel formula being used. A case of try and see. Contrary to a
posting by Egil, I've never seen CAV296 fuel filter rings swell & fail
in months (CAV are the original supplier to Rover(Triumph)). We
occassionally dismasntle PI cars that have the original filters in them
after 20+ years and these still don't leak (but the filters are awfully
clogged)

Next, the lead lubricity is all a hoax. I listed to a seller push his
product at a UK show recently, and have never heard so much hype!!. The
lead is only emitted from the fuel upon combustion. Most PI metering
units are so old and worn, unleaded use is the least of the problem.

Terry O'Beirne
TR5PI,   GT6 racer, 2500PI racer etc etc