RE: horsepower

To: bwesterdale@edax.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: horsepower
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 07:45:58 -0500
Bob W. asks:

>Not to be too much of a skeptic, but 18% seems rather high--  if you had a
>100bhp motor to start with, would it really take  around 18 HP to run that
>tiny little fan?

<snip>

>Your thoughts?

18% may be a touch high - however, I can relate J.K. Jackson's story and
numbers here.  He had a TR-6 on a chassis dyno and ran it with the fan,
then he removed the fan and remeasured.  Simply removing the fan gained
him 13% more power on a TR-6 engine.  The TR-6 fan is plastic rather
than metal like the TR-3/4 fan, but it has more blades so those probably
balance out a bit.  Therefore, I'd guess that a TR-3/4 should see a
similar performance gain as the TR-6 did.

I hope that helps,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu