RE: horsepower

To: nick Glase <jng2@cornell.edu>
Subject: RE: horsepower
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:46:41 +0000
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>===== Original Message From nick Glase <jng2@cornell.edu> =====
>Any ideas if the fan clutch significantly reduces this high speed loss? I'm
>rebuilding a spitfire with a weber side draft, new headers etc., and wonder
>if i should take the antipurist approach another step with an electric fan.
>Has anyone out there converted to electric on a 1500 motor?
>
>Thanks, Nick
>
>79' Spitfire

the idea is exactly the one mentioned. The fan spins at near engine revs at
low speed giving maximum efficiency. At high engine speeds the fan spins
significantly slower than engine speed reducing this tendency. However, even
there it is worth fitting an electric fan since the colling system doesn't
need a fan at all at speeds from say 30 mls upwards exept when pulling high
loads.

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280
Website http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1048