RE: horsepower

To: "'R. John Lye'" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>, "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: horsepower
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:12:05 -0500 charset="windows-1252"
I spoke today with a fellow who is both car and aerodynamic-savvy.  He
explained that a crankshaft driven fan suffers from inefficiencies which
become significantly worse than you might expect when operated at high
speeds ( ie full throttle.)  At lower speeds, the air moves over the fan
blades in a fairly orderly and predictable manner.  But as the RPMs increase
the air is  increasingly unable to follow the fan's contours and begins to
show disorganized turbulence, which results in a great deal of energy being
expended to overcome the resulting drag. The fan doesn't push more air,  it
merely stirs it around like crazy.  Engineers have overcome this, to a
degree by driving the fan via a belt at a speed significantly less than
crankshaft RPM.  They can increase the fan blade pitch for satisfactory low
speed air moving  performance,  and make the blades somewhat flexible so the
pitch 'flattens out' at higher speeds.   I was told that 10-15 horsepower is
a very realistic figure for the power to drive a crankshaft mounted fan at
very high speeds.
   Having learned that, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by
my skepticism, shown below....
Bob W.