RE: horsepower

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: horsepower
From: Jim Barbuscia <Jim.Barbuscia@west.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:28:58 -0800 (PST)
 I've been following this thread with some interest so I thought I'd add my
 experience to it. I went to an electric fan setup on my TR7 and noticed a
 real increase in the power output when I removed the standard fan.
  What I attribute it to is the fact now the car rev's higher and thus more
 RPM = more HP. So an 18% increase in this case would be easy to understand.

 -jimb
 80 TR7 F/I spider
 74-1/2 TR6

> I spoke today with a fellow who is both car and aerodynamic-savvy.  He
> explained that a crankshaft driven fan suffers from inefficiencies which
> become significantly worse than you might expect when operated at high
> speeds ( ie full throttle.)  At lower speeds, the air moves over the fan
> blades in a fairly orderly and predictable manner.  But as the RPMs increase
> the air is  increasingly unable to follow the fan's contours and begins to
> show disorganized turbulence, which results in a great deal of energy being
> expended to overcome the resulting drag. The fan doesn't push more air,  it
> merely stirs it around like crazy.  Engineers have overcome this, to a
> degree by driving the fan via a belt at a speed significantly less than
> crankshaft RPM.  They can increase the fan blade pitch for satisfactory low
> speed air moving  performance,  and make the blades somewhat flexible so the
> pitch 'flattens out' at higher speeds.   I was told that 10-15 horsepower is
> a very realistic figure for the power to drive a crankshaft mounted fan at
> very high speeds.
>    Having learned that, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by
> my skepticism, shown below....
> Bob W.

## Jim Barbuscia SE Sun Microsystems Kirkland, WA.    ##
## http://www.ptinet.net/~jimbar                      ##
## Standard Disclaimers apply (Jim.Barbuscia@Sun.COM) ##