Re: Horsepower

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: Horsepower
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:16:47 -0500
Message text written by "Robert M. Lang"

Hi,

Chimin' in, albeit late...

The 18% may be high, but JK Jackson said:

"The biggest HP gain that we got from a basically stock engine was to just
remove the fan. We got 13 horsepower on the dyno."

A further reference from the past - GRM vol. 14 num. 2, Mar/Apr 1997 says:

"7. Remove stock fan and install an electric one. Good for 7 - 9 additional
HP."

<

Bob,

One point not made yet during this incarnation of this thread is that the
fan load is not constant over the speed range.  It isn't even proportional.
 It is more exponential than anything.  And these HP savings are (probably)
measured at peak RPM and the HP savings at the engine speeds most likely
encountered in street driving will be significantly less.

So when someone says " I took my fan off and drove around the block and I
didn't notice ANY difference!"   They are right.  But then so are you.  As
for me, I thing the electric fan is a far more elegant solution to the
problem than the engine driven fan.

Dave Massey