RE; Metric vs. English

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE; Metric vs. English
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:05:25 -0500
Cc: "105671.471@compuserve.com" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Tony Rhodes
>Well, I am not at all sure the US will be left behind because
we do not switch to metric.  Metric vs. English measurement
as a meaningless distinction.  The only purpose it does serve
is for standardization (not a bad goal).

It is cheaper to use English wrenches since they are
usually graded in 1/16", so you would need only 16 of them
to make a pretty complete set.  Metric wrenches are every millimeter,
and would require 25 of them to cover the same size range.  The
cost of a wrench set is about 156% higher, and they work
no better!!

The Farenheit temp scale is about twice as accurate when used
in full degrees (such as in the weather report).  How am I MORE informed
if I use Celsius??

So, what is in it for me to make the change (except the odd mars explorer)?
<

We had this thread a few years back with no real resolution either.  I
think we just got tired of arguing.  (But its good exercize)  But here we
go again.

The wrench argument is a bit silly, isn't it?  This assumes that all
wrenches cost  the same, don't come in sets (which are priced equivilently)
and there is no such thing as X/32 size wrenches.  At any rate, US listers
can go to Sears tomorrow (Friday) and buy their wrenches cheap at the
annual tool sale.

Back when I was in advanced math class I learned about a handy little
device called the decimal point.  With this we can express a temperature
value with an accuracy far in excess of our ability to measure or control
it.

The real reason is for international trade.  Guess what?  All the mechanics
at the dealerships have tossed their english wrenches away years ago.  The
US automakers have converted already (about 1980) in order to remain
competitive worldwide.  My company manufactures a line of industrial
equipment that we sell primarily in the US.  We have shipped two units
outside the US (England) and finding replacement hardware locally is like
trying to find a whitworth bolt over here.  If a European customer has a
choice between a US made product containing these oddball (SAE) fasteners
and one made in, say, Japan which uses the handy metric tools they already
have, guess what?

Dave Massey

P.S. My Nutdriver set ahs a 7/32, 9/32, and 11/32 sizes