Re: New car vs. old car pollution: stats

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: New car vs. old car pollution: stats
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:16:05 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Michael D. Porter"
>Aftermarket costs are still fairly high, require considerable labor to
install (if one does not have the tools or expertise), and few people
have the desire to put $3-4K into a $1K clunker to improve emissions. In
the aftermarket, many more people are taking emissions equipment _off_
(often for mistaken reasons of believing they are radically improving
power output), rather than putting it on or improving on it. (!)

And, with our particular hobby, there are still those great many people
who are not encouraged to make such emissions improvements because
they're afraid they'll lose points in concours competitions.
Unfortunately, the two biggest improvements in fuel use, emissions,
power production and engine life are digital fuel injection and
crank-fired ignition systems, and those stick out like a sore thumb.
<smile> Not that I mind, mind you. <smile> Others do, though.
<

It's ironic that there are those who wring their hands about what a tree
hugging President will do to their old cars and then turn around and remove
the polution controls from the same said cars.  I feel that if we expect to
be free to continue to drive our beloved relics of the past we must be good
citizens and operate them in a manner that is as clean as possible and that
means maintaining the emisions levels in effect when they were
manufactured.  If we get a reputation for turning minor polluters into
gross polluters we will bear the wrath of those who would preserve the air.
 And who doesn't like clean air?

Soap box mode off.

Dave