Re:TR7 "design"

To: "INTERNET:SpeedSites@aol.com" <SpeedSites@aol.com>
Subject: Re:TR7 "design"
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:14:59 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:SpeedSites@aol.com
>Unless I'm mistaken (which is very possible), by the time the TR7 (had
one,
hated it) came down the design pike, most of Triumph was in tatters and the

BL corp brains were in place.

Also, the designer of the TR7 shape was quoted, as I recall, saying that
"It
was just a sketch... I never really intended them to make THAT car..." I
think hhad more of an AC3000 look in mind, again this recollection is a few

years old.
<

Granted that the visual appeal of a design is in essence a subjective
thing. This means that some like the wedge and others do not.  There is no
right or wrong, just personal preference.

But on to less subjective matters; The TR7 has been descrbed as the "best
handling TR - out of the box."  The result of years of suspension
development did not go unnoticed by the TR7 designers and this car fares
even better than the dated design of the earlier TR's.  Yes, the TR2 front
suspension was revolutionary in its day but it soldiered on with only
subtle changes through the TR6 some 23 years on.  The fact that it served
so well so long is a testament to how well it was sorted out to begin with.
 But I can attest, since I own and drive (on a regualr basis) a TR3, a TR6
and a TR8, that the progress has been in the direction of improved handing
and ride comfort.

If you had reliability problems with your TR7 it is probably due to the
fact that it was an early model built in the Spoeke factory that is
infamous for the labour problems and employee moral.  If you were
disatisfied with the horsepower then you should drive a TR8!  All cars sold
in the US in the late 70's fell short of expectations in this department
and those sold elsewhere were more rewarding to drive.  The TR8 compensated
for this with cubic inches.  Even today, compared to the modern cars
enjoying the technical and performance advances of the last 20 years the
TR8 compares favorably in not just acceleration but in handling and ride
comfort to boot!

But if image is paramont, drive a TR3!  Nothing gets looks and comments
like a TR3!

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6