RE: speeding tickets (A non-LBC rant)

Subject: RE: speeding tickets (A non-LBC rant)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:00:40 -0800
> The honest truth is that most municipalities of any size are so dependent
> upon the profits gained by taxing the "criminals" in their cities
> that they
> would go bankrupt if they lost the income.

Until just a few years ago, California judges had the option of letting you
pay a modest processing fee and attend "traffic school" in expiation for
speeding or whatever.  Then someone in Sacramento hungry for more money (and
we already pay more in taxes than King George demanded when we dumped his
tea in the harbor) realized the "hidden" tax potential they were wasting.
Now, you have to pay the full fine, plus the processing fee, plus the cost
of the school ... clearly they effectively raised the fine just to increase
money raised.

Once was a time when the policeman (or bobby) on the corner was
automatically your friend.  If you were lost or needed help, he would help
you.  Now, there are no policemen on the corners (they don't bring in enough
money), and most people are (rightly) afraid of the police.  Seems like
something got lost along the way ...

Randall