Re: Seat rebuilding - TR3a

To: "jim wallace" <wallaces@superaje.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat rebuilding - TR3a
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:55:43 -0800
> look at (the remains of) my TR3a seat and suggested forgetting the springs
in
> the base and going with foam. He said that nowadays, there is a number of
> qualities and five or six densities, and that the better quality stuff
will
> last as well as or better than a set of springs.
> He was convincing and new springs are expensive, so I think I want to go
the
> foam route. I presume others have done this so would appreciate some input
as
> to which density to select. (My hope is to go on long trips, so seat
comfort is
> critical.)
> TIA,
> Jim
> PS I see "seat kits" in the Moss catalog; is it a safe bet that they are
just
> the covers and not the padding?

Jim,
I went to a foam shop when I was redoing my seats.  It seemed that the
quality foam was very expensive and they told me it would break down in a
few years.  The springs in the seats were rusted away to mostly dust,
although the seats weer somehow still comfortable, but that was after 40
years of abuse.  So I went with new springs.  They're the non-original, a
little higher than the original, but then I am not as tall as the original
either so it works for me.  I got the springs and the kit from Moss, via
British Parts Connection, at the same time I got the re-upholstry kit.
Everything was included in one or the other kit except the hog rings.  As I
recall, there was burlap to cover the springs, and padding (horsehair??). I
added about 1"inch of some seat padding (wasn't foam, got it at Ealmart I
think) to the back and bottom of my wife's seat - she likes to be able to
see over the dash.

Bob