RE: Seat rebuilding - TR3a

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Seat rebuilding - TR3a
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:41:57 -0800
FWIW, when I redid the seats for my '61 3A, I purchased my springs from (I
think) John Kipping in England, who supplies (or supplied) Moss.  They have
fewer but stiffer springs than the originals, causing me to ride somewhat
higher than I'd like.  They are, however, extremely comfortable - especially
since I had about 1/2" of extra foam installed on top.  I've put about 16K
miles on them, including many 8 hour driving days, and have never had a back
ache or sore butt.  That said, I'm still going to check out the springs from
TRF if they really do ever surface.  I'd really like to sit a bit lower
(about half my head sticks over the windshield), and I'd feel better if I
could "settle into" the seats better.  I had seat springs on back-order from
TRF for nearly 4 years, and finally gave up and ordered the Moss ones. Looks
like I should have kept the back-order valid - Charles will usually honor
the back-order price, no matter how long it takes to get an item in stock.
Dennis
Orange, CA

Bill, I can't speak for everyone ... but I'm only interested in how well it
sits and rides and lasts.  I really could care less about it being
'correct', but I've never sat on a non-original seat that I liked.
I plan to keep my TR until I die ... which might not be another 45 years but
it could happen !

Randall