Re: Holidays over

To: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Subject: Re: Holidays over
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:12:54 -0000
Michael Marr wrote:
I honestly cannot fathom why there are so many cars on the road over there
when gas is that expensive - and expensive cars, too!  I lost count of the
number of XKRs, Bentleys, Rolls etc that passed me on the motorway.

The reason being that the vast majority of those cars are not owned by those
driving them. They are *company* cars, provided,  fuelled, serviced and
leased by the driver's employer as part of the user's overall salary
package. While taxed as fringe benefits, the personal tax suffered on
vehicle price and fuel used is probably far less than the outlay the driver
would face if he/she purchased abd ran said vehicles themselves.

Then there are the Range Rovers and other exotic SUV's used by mothers for
the school run... Don't get me on that one! The only *off-road* use those
cars get is two wheels on the sidewalk and two on the road.

Jonmac