Re: Holidays over

To: List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Holidays over
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:52:01 -0800
In town today I saw about 20 Land Rovers, only one of which should have been
> on the road IMHO ;-) it was the one that had mud so far up you could hardly
> see any paint or canvas. Both Angela and I said simultaneously, "He knows
> what that is for then!" All the rest were street fairies,

Interesting.

When I bring my 1960 Land Rover Dormobile home from a run one of the
first things I do after unpacking is crawl underneath with a high
pressure washer then follow it up with an outside cleaning and relubing
everything.  I'm a great believer in the old adage "Take care of your
gear and it will take care of you".  It's that mud layer that causes
accelerated wear as well as rust. I really don't know any experienced
off road people that keep their vehicles dirty.

You will never see a mud coating on my LR after a couple days of my
returning from the field.  That doesn't mean I never use my Land Rover
off road.  it means I take care to keep my ride reliable.

On the other hand I've seen wannabes run off to the first muddy field on
the block an wallow in it like a hot pig in a mud bath just to get the
"look".  Then they keep it on for as long as possible so everyone would
think that are real off roaders.  Even if the mud came off a flat field
next to the mall.

Personally I tend to look for horizontal scratches in the paint.  That
means passage through heavily brushed trails.  Equipment that has been
used and maintained tends to have a certain look about it that maybe
only another off roader can readily identify, but my respect is for the
person who uses and maintains their equipment.

TeriAnn
1960 Land Rover Dormobile owned since 1978
1961 Triumph TR3A, owned since 1986 (the new car)
Who needs anything else?