RE: 1980 TR7 questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1980 TR7 questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:08:36 -0700
> There is a somewhat loud clicking noise upon acceleration.  I had my son
> listen and he thinks it is centered under the car.  When you let up on the
> accelerator, it goes away.  I tried the wiggle the back of the
> driveshaft, but
> it didn't seem to have any play in it.  It still seems like a
> u-joint issue.
> It doesn't seems to be coming from the rear end.  Any ideas?

Bad U-joints frequently don't wiggle, in my experience.  Could also be a
problem inside the transmission, although a 1980 should have the better
5-speed.

> This one is fuel injected but I know others have dual carbs.  why the
> difference?

I believe it was done to further lower emissions, possibly only for the
California market.

> Also, this one accelerates briskly until you get up to 3000 rpm.
> If you push
> on the accelerator more it justs cuts out like there is no gas.
> It does the
> same thing in all of the gears (5spd).  Any ideas on the cause of the
> problem?

Anything that limits fuel delivery, like low fuel pressure or a clogged
filter or a defective pump.  The pump & main filter are under the car near
the rear axle.  Filters are readily available (I recently found one at Pep
Boys, a west coast discount auto parts chain similar to AutoZone and
Kragen), but the pump is expensive.

> Is this a desirable car and worth saving?

All I can say is that it seems to be hard to give away a non-running TR7.
As a whole they seem to be about the least desirable of all Triumphs that
were imported to the US ... but a 1980 model with fuel injection is probably
more desirable than the earlier cars.  Where that leaves you, I don't know.

The iron/steel construction of the engine makes it very prone to corrosion
if the coolant hasn't been changed regularly, so I'd look carefully for any
traces of white powder, especially where hoses go onto fittings and so on.
Leaking head gaskets were a common problem, and can easily cost more to
repair than the car is worth these days (which is why non-running cars are
generally worthless).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org