smooth ride, clutch stuff

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: smooth ride, clutch stuff
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:15:00 -0400
Hello All,

First and foremost, thank you all for the wealth of information shared
through this list,

Secondly, just my 2 cents regarding the clutch problems with the TR6
models.  After reading many articles, talking to a number of people and
my own experiences with this car it appears that the spring pressure of
the after market pressure plates are to blame for many of the inherent
problems associated with the TR6.

I have compared the pressure required to actuate my clutch with a car
recently purchased by a friend.  His 72 appears to be very unmolested and
don't have any idea what clutch recipe is used in his car.  His clutch is
very smooth and easy to depress and doesn't affect how positive the
clutch operates.  My car has a Borg and Beck disk and pressure plate that
I reused when I swapped engines but I did install the Toyota Land Cruiser
T/O bearing because of the bad press surrounding the after market T/O
bearings from the big 3.  The clutch appears to work fine except that it
doesn't feel like it has completely released the disk from the flywheel
thus sometimes grinding of gears.  I still need to check the red plastic
hose to see if it swells when the pedal is depressed.  I am probably also
losing a little bit of leverage as the Toyota T/O has a larger diameter
at the pressure plate contact point than the T/O that was removed.

I have compared my clutch to other's cars and their's is also quite stiff
as compared to my friend's.

My feelings are that the added pressure of the Borg and Beck type product
could be blamed for early crank shaft thrust washer failure, expansion of
the red clutch slave pipe, enlargement of the clutch rod pivot holes on
the clutch and overdevelopment of my left calf muscle.

Could someone describe the force required on their "Magic Clutch" or
Sachs setup when compared to other's cars.

Thanks and enjoy the season,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
1971 TR6 project, 1973 TR6 driver
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club" @